Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!


I hope everyone's 2009 is starting out wonderfully! Me? I've been super duper lazy the past couple of days and it felt really good after all the hustle and bustle of the holidays. I spent the day on the sofa with Dan (who has been sick with that nasty cold bug that seems to be getting everyone around) watching TV. Something I never, ever do. I have the hardest time just sitting still for any length of time. So to keep my hands a bit busy I finished approximately 10 crossword puzzles out of probably 200 in this huge book my mom gave for me Christmas. I did get up to fix us some lunch which was not collard greens and black-eyed peas, both of which I can not force myself to put in my mouth. I'll take my chances with the boiled shrimp and artichoke dip we had instead ;). If you're not familiar with the practice of eating black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year's day it's probably because it was a tradition that was started in the south. From what I was told you eat it in rememberance of tough times and it is suppose to bring wealth and good luck the coming year. The peas represent coins and the collards paper money and although I'd love to have more of each I just can't bring myself to stomach peas and collards - yuck! My grandmother has jokingly said that I must not be a true southern girl since I don't eat collards or really like grits ;).

Today I plan on getting off the sofa and working on some new ideas I have for a few pieces that hopefully I can have listed by the end of next week. Tuesday I'll be in North Carolina for the gem show and then Wednesday and Thursday I'll be organizing, photographing and listing all my new goodies. And if you've left me requests for the gem show be sure to check back Tuesday night or Wednesday morning for a list of all the goodies I found and will be listing!

Happy 2009 everyone and thank you all for a wonderful 2008! =)

2 comments:

  1. We ate our black eyed peas! We're having them again tonight. Not my fav, but hey, it's tradition. :)
    Happy New Year~

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a grilled chicken salad! I love black eyed peas, though. And, we never had collards, just cabbage. And where's that gem show in North Carolina? I need to start checking some out myself. Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete